'FAMOUS COMPOSERS (англійська мова для 8-го класу за підручником А. Несвіт)
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні й граматичні навички;
вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення, письма й читання;
розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; розвивати пам'ять;
прищеплювати любов до музики;
виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1. In which Austrian city was the composer born on January 27, 1756?
a) Vienna b) Salzburg c) Graz
2. What was his father’s name?
a) Leonard b) Leopold c) Leon
3. How many musical instruments could little Amadeus play by the age of 6?
a) 1 b) 2 c) 3
4. How old was Mozart when he composed his first symphony?
a) 9 b) 12 c) 14
5. Mozart’s sister, too, was a talented musician. What was her name?
a) Maria b) Anna c) Nanner
6. How old was Mozart when he composed his first opera?
a) 12 b) 14 c) 16
7. Which of the following operas was not written by Mozart?
a) The Magic Flute b) Rigoletto c) The Marriage of Figaro
8. How many languages did Mozart speak?
a) 2 b) 6 c) 12
9. How many symphonies did Mozart write?
a) 21 b) 41 c) 61
10. Mozart died very early, at the age of 35. Is it true that he was poisoned by Antonio Salieri?
a) True b) False
11. What composition was Mozart working on at the time of his death?
a) a string quartet b) The Magic Flute c) The Requiem
12. Which composer turned Pushkin’s Mozart and Salieri into an opera by the same name?
a) Tchaikovsky b) Glinka c) Rimsky-Korsakov
Key: 1 b, 2 b, 3 c, 4 a, 5 c, 6 a, 7 b, 8 c, 9 c, 10 b, 11 c, 12 c.
Do ex. 1, p. 109.
Listen to the story and do the task. HAYDN’S FIRST OPERA When Haydn was young he was very poor. He made his living by playing the violin in the streets of Vienna. At that time in Vienna there lived a well-known singer named Curtz. One day Haydn and his friends decided to play a serenade under the singer’s windows. Curtz in his room listened to the music. He enjoyed the melody greatly and when Haydn and his friends stopped playing he ran downstairs crying: “Who wrote this music?” “I did” — said Haydn. “You! Then come upstairs to my room,” said the singer. When they came upstairs, Curtz said: “Here are the words of an opera. Will you write the music?” Haydn said that he had never written an opera but that he would try. НE started working and all went well till he came to a storm at sea. This was a problem. “How can I put a storm at sea into music? I have never seen the sea,” he said to himself. He went to Curtz but Curtz couldn’t help him. He tried all kinds of notes but without success. At last he got angry, crashed his hands down on the piano and cried: “Dash the storm!” — “That’s just the music we need for opera,” cried Curtz with joy. Many years later Haydn laughed when he thought of the storm in his first opera. That opera was the beginning of a series of wonderful musical works by Haydn.
True or False.[ред.]
1. Haydn made his living by playing the violin in the streets of London. 2. He wasn’t poor so he didn’t have to play in the streets of Vienna. 3. Curts was a famous composer. 4. Curtz heard Haydn’s music by chance and liked it very much. 5. Haydn was proposed to write an opera. 6. Haydn had written some operas before. 7. There were no problems at all with writing music. 8. Haydn and Curtz wrote the music together. 9. The music of storm appeared quite unexpectedly. 10. That was the first Haydn’s experience in writing operas. Key: 1 F, 2 F, 3 T, 4 T, 5 T, 6 F, 7 F, 8 F, 9 T, 10 T.
Reading and speaking[ред.]
Do ex. 2, p. 109.
==== Speaking ====
Do ex. 3, p. 111.
==== Grammar practice ====
Do ex. 4, p. 111.
Interview your classmates about their attitude towards music. 1. How important is music in your life? 2. What type of music do you most like to listen to? 3. Do you have a favourite band or singer? Why do you like them? 4. When do you listen to music? 5. How much time do you spend listening to music each day or week? 6. What is the traditional music in your country like? Is it related to any traditional dance forms? 7. Do you sometimes feel like dancing when you hear music? Under what circumstances do you dance? 8. When was the last time you went to a discotheque? How often do you go? 9. Do you ever go out to listen to music live? When was the last time you went to a concert? 10. Do you download music for free from the internet? What do you think of the morality of this? 11. Have you ever been to an outdoor concert? Were there many people? What was the weather like?
Do ex. 5, p. 111.